No tricks for Halloween – just an awesome treat for you guys!!
I am not joking when I say that this is one of the best things we made that weekend. Crunchy on the bottom with luscious caramel and the hint of chocolate –> perfection! These were the first things gone in our house. We unfortunately only made a 8×8 pan and had to share them between both houses. . . Laura and I have already made them again and again – in a 9×13 pan! And it is on my list to make them again SOON! The recipe has amounts for a 8×8 pan, but I would recommend doubling it and making a 9×13 pan – you won’t be disappointed!
32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1. Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat.
2. Stir until completely smooth; set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda.
4. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8×8″ pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
6. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust.
7. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips.
8. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel.
9. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
*A quick few minutes in the fridge will help them cool off. They shouldn’t be served cold, but all of that molten caramel takes a long time to cool down. They should be stored and served at room temperature. ***IMHO – I think they tasted great right out of our freezer!
**To make a 9×13″ version, simply double the amounts.