When I first started doing body pump many years ago, I had no idea that my body pump journey would be anything like it is today. When I first started doing body pump, I was getting in shape for my upcoming wedding. I would go to the 5:30am class at the local YMCA (what up Woodbury YMCA!!). And for those of you who know me. . . know that it is very unusual for me to get up that early for anything! Laura would come with me sometimes too. And I loved it! Except for lunges – we would always make faces and complain horribly during the lunge track!
Now, about 5 years later, I am a certified body pump instructor and teaching my own classes 2-3 times per week. And as an instructor, part of my job is to lift inspiring weights. .. so even on days where I am tired or insert 20 different excuses here, I lift heavier than I really want to! And the results have been amazing. .. not just in muscles but I have noticed a lot of different perks of being an instructor. ..
1. Better running times – getting stronger and doing regular weight lifting, has made me a faster and stronger runner. As Chris likes to say “Body Pump Strong!”
2. That I would love it as much as I do – I love teaching aerobics but I really love teaching body pump. The music, the energy, them moves. I just love it all.
3. That I much prefer to teach it than take it – being an instructor in front of the class changes how you do the class, your form is better, you lift heavier, and your in control! While I like to take other people’s classes to see how they teach and cue, I really enjoy teaching my own class.
4. Good running music – Body pump music is awesome. I serisouly listen to it all the. time. Running, in the car, during breakfast, etc. And it is a really good beat and pace to use during a run.
5. That I would spend as much time doing/thinking about it – I knew I would have to spend time working on memorizing the moves and choreography every 3 months, but I think about my upcoming class, what release and/or tracks I want to do, what weight selection I should use and what I should challenge my class to use, etc. . .
6. That my husband would comment so frequently about how ripped I am – I think he is scared that my bicep is going to be bigger than his!
7. That it would improve my aerobics class and teaching – learning and teaching body pump has made me a better aerobics instructor. I have more moves to add to my class and better cueing.
8. That I would enjoy doing it in my basement – I have bought lots of exercise videos before, only to do them for a month or two and then get bored. I love doing my body pump instructor videos. Watching the experts teach and cue, as well as their energy is awesome and inspiring. After I get done doing one at home, I can’t wait to teach again to share my love and excitement for body pump with my class.
9. That my love for body pump continues to grow every class and every release!
Do you do body pump?? Any perks you have noticed? How about any other perks from other classes?
And .. . the winner of the Chick’d giveaway is:
Ari!! –-> please email me at email@example.com so I can get you your awesome new Chick’d capris.