I made it!! For the month of May, we spent. . .
$299.25!! Just under my goal of $300.
As a reminder my overall goals for the challenge were:
- Use Pantry/freezer items –> YES!
- Buy staples only on sale –> getting better.
- Buy only what is needed for the week ahead –>YES
- One weekly trip to the store(s) –> YES
- Menu plan weekly and start by looking at the pantry, freezer and fridge and seeing what I can work with that we already have or will go bad soon
–> this is going really well and is very helpful for meal planning!!
- Start using coupons – I started following our local grocery stores (HyVee and Cub Foods) on Twitter and signed up for weekly emails from Cub Foods and I am going to start checking out some online coupon sites.
–> still just using the Cub coupons we get in the mail. Haven’t had a whole lot of success with online coupons or anything on Twitter.
- Go vegetarian for one dinner each week –> Done. Usually eggs.
- Take Jodi’s advice and check out Wal-Mart for cheaper prices –> haven’t taken the plunge yet!
- Continue to bring my own bags – it’s only 5 cents, but each little bit helps, right? –> Yes!
Overall, a really really good month. When I started the challenge, I really didn’t know if my $300 goal was even attainable given how much we were spending .. up to $425+ each month. ..
My number one tip so far has been using the cash in an envelope. It helps to curb spending so much knowing you just have a certain amount to spend per trip. It also forces you to really look at prices. It has raised my awareness of prices of items and has made it easier to comparison shop as well. We continue to go to Cub Foods as well as Sam’s Club each week. Staples for us at Sam’s include: milk and fruit weekly (+eggs and chobani yogurt once per month ). **We also buy toilet paper, paper towels, etc at Sam’s, but we keep a separate household items budget that isn’t part of our grocery budget.
I am so happy that we are doing this challenge, and I am looking forward to keeping it going for the next 2 months. ..
after the next 2 months, I anticipate increasing the budget somewhat after our pantry and freezer stash is depleted, but more on that later!!
I know quite a few of you have being doing your own grocery challenge too – any tips to share or things you learned from this month??
Missed my previous updates? Check them out here!