I think salt and caramel has to be my all time favorite combination. Don’t get me wrong, peanut butter and chocolate is pretty amazing too. But salted caramel anything will win me over every time. And these bars are no exception.
These are thick and dense with a perfect cake meets bar consistency. The salted caramel layer adds just the right amount of sweetness and chewiness to it. I made a big batch of these to take over to the new house one afternoon while Scott and Matt were working. When I came back home, I couldn’t stop sneaking “tastes” from the pan. So good.
Salted Caramel Blondies
recipe inspiration from Roxana’s Home Baking
For the bottom layer:
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
For the middle:
- 11 oz (1 bag) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
For the top layer:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- sea salt
- Heat the oven to 350. Line an 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter with sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and baking soda.
- Spread the mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- For the middle layer: In a small saucepan combine the caramels and evaporated milk. Melt over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour over the half baked crust.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- To make the top blondie layer mix butter, sugar, eggs and flour together. Crumble it over the caramel layer.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 30-35 more minutes. The middle should be set and top layer has the look of baked sugar cookies.
- As soon as you take the blondies out of the oven, sprinkle a pinch of salt on top.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.
- Try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting.