So, remember how I watched that movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? And how it encouraged me to check out juicing? Thankfully, I have a super awesome friend, Sue, who let me have one of her extra juicers (for a trade!).
And this weekend I finally got to check it out!
First, I was treated to a trip to the grocery store and Sam’s Club all by myself.
Thank you Way for watching Luke!
I stocked up on fruits and veggies – our fridge is FULL. I basically bought things that I know I like already, that I think would make good juice. I got:
Apples (pink lady)
Celery (even though Becky warned me that celery is the worst!)
On Sunday morning, I got the juicer ready. Thankfully, I had a tutorial from Sue before I took it home, otherwise I would have been totally lost.
I juiced up:
Large handful of spinach
The only bad thing – I had to share with both Scott and Luke. Luke kept asking “more juice Mama.” I think I have created a monster. First smoothies, now juice.
The lemon really made it refreshing.
A few things from my first juicing experience:
1. The carrots and apple gave me more juice than I was expecting.
2. The spinach gave me less juice. . . I probably should have added 4x the amount that I did.
3. Putting a bag over the waste container was the best tip ever. Super easy cleanup.
4. ½ lemon = awesome. (great tip Sue!)
5. While you can put your juicer in the dishwasher, I just washed it by hand and it took about 3 minutes.
6. The juicer is large and bulky. If I start juicing regularly, I have no idea where I am going to keep it.
7. I am excited to see how many juices I can make with the amount of produce and fruit I bought.
8. I am also excited to start putting other concoctions together. And maybe try some ginger too. Chris has given me a few recipes to try too.
9. I don’t know if I would ever do a juice fast. . . but I think that juicing could become a regular part of my diet.
10. I am excited that my sister borrowed a juicer too and has been checking it out. We have been texting each other with our juicing combinations and giving ratings out of 5. My orange/apple/spinach/lemon = 4.6/5.
Do you juice? Any recipes to share?